Friday, February 5, 2016

Feel Me, Read Me, Make Me, Eat Me

Last night the ladyfriend and I went to hear Naomi Klein speak about the link between capitalism and climate change.  Anyone who's experienced the recent snow dump and then April-like weather knows climate change is real.  Actually, anyone who understands facts knows climate change is real.  Her talk was inspiring and thought-provoking.  It is also action-provoking.  Things need to change.

The talk dovetailed nicely with an article I read about sourcing ethical wool.  Not surprisingly, it points to the fact that one of the biggest issues in sourcing ethical wool is avoiding wool processed in China.  This article does talk about the process of mulesing, which actually isn't the main issue; just the main issue groups like PETA like to point to.  I'm thinking about sending this link to my LYS since they're into sourcing "local, independent, and eco friendly yarns," but in a conversation with one of the owners she seemed to accept that most yarn for the larger companies is processed in China.  Not so local, nor independent, nor eco friendly.

I found this article from the owner of Vulpine (a great cycling clothing company) about the great helmet debate level-headed and logical.  Sometimes I wear a helmet; sometimes I don't.

One of the most overrated "holidays" is coming up.  Yep, Valentine's Day, or VD if you have a sense of humour.  Skip Hallmark and make your own pop-up VD card courtesy of Sew in Love.  I really like the sentiment of it.  Check it out.

Love your cats?  If you have one, of course you do!  Why not show your love by making them a little cozy hideaway?

Finally, last night (clearly a busy night for us - hah!) a search for a cinnamon roll in the freezer led to the discovery of a serious cache of overripe bananas so I'm making Banana Cream pie!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about making a felted cat cozy. Thanks for reminding me!

    I also struggle with finding yarns that are actually processed outside of China. There are plenty of great locally dyed and processed yarns for a single project, but I sometimes find that they aren't consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd suggest looking at Quince & Co. They have a great selection of yarns in amazing colours and they're all made and processed in the US. Tolt also carries great US-made yarns.

      Delete
  2. LYS = Local Yarn Shop. I feel pretty smart for figuring that out. Any hints for Canadian grown/dyed/processed consistent yarns (not that I'm looking)?

    ReplyDelete